Chef’s Braised Leg of Lamb
Melt-in-your-mouth moist and tender, braising lamb is one of the best ways to enjoy this rustic dish. Serve with rice, cous cous or a flatbread like naan or lavash. The leftovers make great sandwiches or wraps with salad greens, mint and yogurt.
1 ea leg of lamb
4 ea yellow onion (diced)
2 ea carrots (diced)
4 ea celery stalks (diced)
6 ea bay leaves
1 cup garlic cloves
3 ea cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoon whole cloves
3 ea oranges (cut in half)
6 sprigs rosemary
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons pepper
1. Squeeze the juice of the 3 oranges over the lamb legs.
2. Combine the other ingredients and add to the legs.
3. Cover and let marinate for at least 2 days.
4. In a large pan heat the oil.
5. Remove the legs from the marinade and sear in the oil until brown.
6. Place the seared legs in a roasting pan.
7. In the same pan, brown the vegetables used in the marinade.
8. When they are cooked add, the wine and reduce the liquid by half.
9. Pour the wine/vegetable mixture over the lamb and cover with foil.
10. Place the pan in a 300 deg. oven and braise for 4 hours or until tender.
11. Use a pair of tongs to pull the meat from the bone to serve.